The history of the Chionetti family is linked to the vine since the 19th century. The Chionetti estate was founded by Giuseppe Chionetti in 1912 when he bought a farm in San Luigi, in the town of Dogliani, in that extraordinary territory of Langhe in Piedmont, an area suitable for the cultivation of vines.
The cultivation of the vine in the Dogliani area by the Celtic populations dates back to the 4th century B.C. and it was in the 2nd century B.C. that the Romans increased its production. The first historical documents on the wine trade in this area date back to around 1000 AD, but it was in 1593 that the name "dozzetto" (dolcetto) first appeared in an official document issued by the municipality of Dogliani. Dogliani DOCG, made from 100% Dolcetto grapes, is a wine of great potential and complex character.
From 1912, the Chionetti family associated their name with Dolcetto, which they sold at that time to the most important merchants of the region. Gradually, with the introduction of bottled wine sales, the name Chionetti became established. However, it was thanks to Quinto, grandson of the founder Giuseppe, that the marketing of bottles under the name of Chionetti really took off. Later, Andrea, son of Quinto, decided to explore the potential of their vineyards by developing three new wines: Sorì Briccolero, San Luigi, Vigna la Costa. During these years, the company grew considerably, linking the name of Chionetti to the wines of Dogliani, which began to be exported, especially to the United States.
In 1988, at the moment of maximum growth, Andrea and his daughter Elena died in a car accident. Nevertheless, Quinto continued the work begun by his son years earlier, leading the company with great determination into the new millennium. In 1999, Andrea’s wife Maria made the decision to help Quinto, leaving her job at the bank.
Finally, in 2013, Quinto passed the reins to his grandson Nicola, who decided to continue the tradition of producing Dogliani wines. Since 2015, the Chionetti family has purchased 3 vineyards in the Barolo region. The grapes are vinified separately, giving three distinct Barolo wines.
Currently, the vineyard area is 14 hectares. The company treats the vines in harmony with nature and the work in the vineyard is done manually. The estate is certified organic, not using any insecticides or herbicides, and all fertilization is done with manure or other organic products. The vines are pruned at the beginning of the ripening process; the grapes are selected and harvested by hand in small crates.
The wines are not filtered, which can cause sediment in the bottle. The Nebbiolo is vinified in wooden tanks and in order to preserve the original flavour of the wine, no yeast is used.